Skip to main content

X is for X-treme Sports

There are certain kinds of people who just can’t be content with the humdrum of everyday life. They seek out adventure and are daredevils. These are the people who bungee jump, paraglide and take part in X-treme sports.

My earlier post on U is for Underwater Pursuits covered some of these, but today, I will continue with those that can be done on land and in air, too. Here’s a link that discusses adventure sports in India. 

Although I wouldn’t really call myself a daredevil, I have done parasailing twice ( Once in Thailand and once in Ibiza), rappelling( in Mahabalipuram, Chennai) , trekking ( in Munnar), hot-air ballooning in Corbett and caving in Araku Valley, Vishakhapatnam.

The rappelling in Mahabalipuram was at Silversands resort and was a day trip from Cognizant where I was working then. We had to scale a tall outcrop of rock, which was almost vertical. We had to hold on to small ledges that were carved into the rock, and we were also secured by a rope in case we slipped. But before embarking on this risky undertaking, we had signed an indemnity bond that waived the resort of any responsibility in case of a mishap, which made us pretty nervous. Since I’m typing this out several years later, I’ve lived to tell the taleJ

My trek to Meesapulimalai, Munnar, has been captured here by a co-traveller and friend. 

The hot-air-ballooning that I did at the Kosi riverbed in Corbett was in a hot-air balloon that was tethered to the ground. So it wasn’t that risky, to be honest! Here’s a picture of the event. 


The caving in Araku valley is not for the claustrophobic! I felt a bit dizzy as I entered the caves and could smell bats everywhere. Not something I would do again in a hurry!

The parasailing in Pattaya, Thailand, was my first time attempting this sport and although I did not take a video or a picture, here is a video of some stranger on the net attempting the exact same thing.

I repeated parasailing, but this time with a friend in Ibiza. The two of us parasailed together at the same time. Here, too, my luck ran out as far as photographs and videos are concerned ‘coz the videographer lost only our videos and photos!  The one thing I’d like to add about parasailing in Ibiza is that when it’s time to land on your boat, the landing pad isn’t smooth at all. You could risk shredding your legs! Again, I’ve lived to tell the tale, so I guess I’m like a cat with nine lives.

I invite those of you who have done X-treme sports to share your experiences in the comments section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I is for 'Insect Collecting'

Yes! Insect collecting is a hobby. People do collect insects and preserve them in chemical solutions. A former colleague and friend from Hewlett-Packard used to do it. She was even featured in 'The Hindu' for her unusual hobby. She said her parents always told her stories of insects while she grew up, so she did not consider them icky or creepy. Now, I’ve got arachnophobia that’s been passed down from my maternal grandmother, so the thought of collecting any insect gives me the heebie-jeebies. I do like ladybirds and butterflies although I don’t really want to collect them. Here is an article on ‘How to start a proper insect collection’ from the Internet in case you want to explore your options. If you enter ‘insect collecting supplies' on Amazon, it throws up a list of supplies like ‘insect collecting net’ ‘insect display case’ etc. Maybe once we are rid of COVID -19, you can look it up.  Children interested in science can do it as a school project for t

H is for 'Horseriding'

  Yes, this( horseriding) is a hobby, too, albeit for the rich and famous.    Tourists visiting hill stations can go horseback riding with guides leading the way. Children can ride small ponies in beaches, as I have done as a child.  The last time I sat on a pony was when I was about ten years old. At least that’s the last time that comes to mind. Here’s a picture of me with a pony in Kashmir. My parents and I were tourists visiting J&K in the 80s. A simple Google search throws up a list of results for horse riding schools in Chennai alone. Talking of horses, the scene from the movie Godfather comes to mind, when a beloved racehorse Khartoum is found dead and its head severed on the bed as a threat from Marlon Brando’s character. A lot of ‘Westerns’ in Hollywood couldn’t have been made without horses. More recently, the film ‘The War Horse’ was made.   In Indian movies, the heroine on horseback or riding a horsedrawn carriage ( like Basanti in ‘Sholay’ )  mak

O is for 'Online Learning'

What better time than the lockdown to pursue an online course? I have done three courses on LinkedIn so far during this period, but I would love to do more courses on other platforms as well. LinkedIn enables you to download a certificate and also add it as a skill on your LinkedIn profile, once you complete the course. Now, so many reputed universities and Ivy League colleges are offering free courses online. Have you checked out https://online-learning.harvard.edu/ ? Udemy is offering courses starting from Rs. 420 for Shuttl users. Instapoet Rupi Kaur conducted a live writing workshop online earlier this year. BYJU’s, Unacademy, Vendantu and Coursera are having special offers and limited free access to their learning material. There is no better time than the present to upskill. Learning is a lifelong process. The half-life of an engineering education today is only three years, so it becomes crucial to keep learning after graduation or post-graduation. It is best not to str