Skip to main content

L is for 'Letter Writing'

Writing letters is that wonderful way of communicating with people that the xennials believed in. The generations following that might stick to Instant Messaging, Skyping or ‘House Party’ing, but there is a thing or two to be learned from the boomers and the 80’s and 90’s kids. Today, letter writing can be considered a hobby.

A xennial myself, I loved writing letters. I’ve written several on inland letters to my late maternal grandmother. I’ve also sent letters on aerogrammes to friends living abroad. Letter writing is probably a lost art today, but it is slowly finding favour with the youth, even if only for them to experience a different time. In fact, today an article about India Post coming to the rescue even in times of COVID-19 caught my attention, but I was unable to open the link, thanks to some Internet issue. And therein lies the charm of snail mail. It gets to its destination, even if after ages.

A few months back, I bought fancy letter paper from Amazon. I could find only one seller on Amazon who sold it and even that wasn’t to my expectation. Here's a picture of the letter paper I bought.



I sent my dear friend from college days a letter since she had told me back in 2017 that she loves letters and misses them. I ended up posting it only after almost a month since it’s quite a trip to the post office here. But eventually, she did get it, and we both felt warm and fuzzy inside.

In fact, I recommend writing letters to your friends to strengthen bonds. Expressing oneself is super important and especially in friendships and other close personal relationships since misunderstandings might arise otherwise.

If you’ve just become a new parent, I recommend creating an email account in your baby’s name and writing emails to your baby. Give your child the password to his/her account when he/she turns a certain age. I didn’t come up with this idea myself. I saw it somewhere, but I thought it was beautiful and worth sharing here. Or you could write notes to your baby and put them in a jar for him/her to read when he/she grows older.

Write that letter today! It’s therapeutic. And if you read this post, do take a couple of seconds to leave me a comment. I love receiving comments! 


Comments

  1. I will spent 16 yrs of my life away from home for higher education and then jobs. Until 2004, I would write inland letters to my parents and they would send a reply too. Then the mobile revolution happened and we stopped writing. My mother passed away 9 yrs ago. Today her letters are one of my most cherished possessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. It is indeed wonderful that you can go back and read the letters you exchanged with her. Hugs!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I is for 'Insect Collecting'

Yes! Insect collecting is a hobby. People do collect insects and preserve them in chemical solutions. A former colleague and friend from Hewlett-Packard used to do it. She was even featured in 'The Hindu' for her unusual hobby. She said her parents always told her stories of insects while she grew up, so she did not consider them icky or creepy. Now, I’ve got arachnophobia that’s been passed down from my maternal grandmother, so the thought of collecting any insect gives me the heebie-jeebies. I do like ladybirds and butterflies although I don’t really want to collect them. Here is an article on ‘How to start a proper insect collection’ from the Internet in case you want to explore your options. If you enter ‘insect collecting supplies' on Amazon, it throws up a list of supplies like ‘insect collecting net’ ‘insect display case’ etc. Maybe once we are rid of COVID -19, you can look it up.  Children interested in science can do it as a school project for t

O is for 'Online Learning'

What better time than the lockdown to pursue an online course? I have done three courses on LinkedIn so far during this period, but I would love to do more courses on other platforms as well. LinkedIn enables you to download a certificate and also add it as a skill on your LinkedIn profile, once you complete the course. Now, so many reputed universities and Ivy League colleges are offering free courses online. Have you checked out https://online-learning.harvard.edu/ ? Udemy is offering courses starting from Rs. 420 for Shuttl users. Instapoet Rupi Kaur conducted a live writing workshop online earlier this year. BYJU’s, Unacademy, Vendantu and Coursera are having special offers and limited free access to their learning material. There is no better time than the present to upskill. Learning is a lifelong process. The half-life of an engineering education today is only three years, so it becomes crucial to keep learning after graduation or post-graduation. It is best not to str

H is for 'Horseriding'

  Yes, this( horseriding) is a hobby, too, albeit for the rich and famous.    Tourists visiting hill stations can go horseback riding with guides leading the way. Children can ride small ponies in beaches, as I have done as a child.  The last time I sat on a pony was when I was about ten years old. At least that’s the last time that comes to mind. Here’s a picture of me with a pony in Kashmir. My parents and I were tourists visiting J&K in the 80s. A simple Google search throws up a list of results for horse riding schools in Chennai alone. Talking of horses, the scene from the movie Godfather comes to mind, when a beloved racehorse Khartoum is found dead and its head severed on the bed as a threat from Marlon Brando’s character. A lot of ‘Westerns’ in Hollywood couldn’t have been made without horses. More recently, the film ‘The War Horse’ was made.   In Indian movies, the heroine on horseback or riding a horsedrawn carriage ( like Basanti in ‘Sholay’ )  mak